The safety data sheet (SDS) is a standardized information bulletin prepared by the manufacturer or importer of a chemical that describes its properties, hazards, ingredients and more. These forms must be must also ensure that downstream employers, or companies, are similarly provided a SDS. Whenever “new or significant information” regarding a chemical’s hazard potential is realized, manufacturers and importers must update their SDSs. They have to update within three months of learning this new information. Appendix D of the HCS explains the information to be included on the SDS and also the format required. All chemical manufacturers and distributors must use the same format. This format is the same as the American National Standards Institute standard on Safety Data Sheets, which is familiar to many US employers. This uniform approach to SDSs improves its effectiveness, makes it easier for your employer to comply with the regulation and provides a safer workplace for employees. Your employees must have access to Safety Data Sheets at all times if they work with potentially hazardous chemicals. They also have a right to know the chemical ingredients, risks, and how to protect themselves. To comply with these regulations, your workers must have easy access to these sheets in a highly visible place and be able to interpret their information easily. This training will cover everything your workers need to know about Safety Data Sheets and comply with Right-to-Know laws.
HAZCOM Safety Data Sheets Training Class Topic Overview:
- Contents of the OSHA Standard
- Safety Data Sheets
- Hazard Identification
- Composition/Info on Ingredients
- First-aid Measures
- Fire-Fighting Measure
- Accidental Release Measures
- Handling and Storage
- Exposure Controls/Personal Protection
- Physical and Chemical Properties
- Stability and Reactivity
- Toxicological Information
- Ecological Information
- Disposal Considerations
- Transportation Information
- Regulatory Information
- Other Information
Our easy-to-use video kit provides all the necessary materials for running successful training class, including:
- 12-minute HAZCOM Safety Data Sheets training video developed by industry professionals
- HAZCOM Safety Data Sheets PowerPoint Presentation for classroom use
- OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1910.1200 compliant content
- Printable documents, including:
- Training outline
- Compliance Manual
- Completion Certificate & Wallet Cards / ID card
- Attendance Log / Sign-In Form
- Employee Quiz and Answer Key
- HAZCOM Safety Data Sheets supplemental printouts
After completing this training, workers will understand the content of the HAZCOM OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1910.1200 on Safety Data Sheets and should be able to apply its standards to workplace hazards and situations.
Who should take this course?
New and seasoned employees who work with hazardous chemicals within a manufacturing, general industry, or laboratory setting. Suitable for use during new hire orientation training, refresher training or to train the trainer.