Foodborne illness or food poisoning, commonly caused by bacteria and viruses such as salmonella and norovirus, is defined as an illness caused by eating contaminated food. Symptoms of foodborne illness include upset stomach, abdominal cramps, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and dehydration. Symptoms may range from mild to severe. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that in the United States alone, food poisoning causes about 76 million illnesses, 300,000 hospitalizations, and up to 5,000 deaths each year.
This course was developed to help your employees learn good personal hygiene and proper food handling to prevent foodborne illness outbreaks and protect the people they love. Sanitary food handling, proper cooking and refrigeration are also covered to round out their food safety knowledge.
Food Safety & Personal Hygiene Training Class Topic Overview:
- Understanding health codes
- Hand washing & personal hygiene
- Cleaning kitchen surfaces and spaces
- How and why to separate foods
- Proper cooking temperatures
- Proper methods for chilling food
- Additional safety rules
Our easy-to-use training kit provides all the materials you need for a successful food safety training class, including:
- 19-minute Food Safety & Personal Hygiene training video developed by industry experts
- Food safety PowerPoint Presentation for classroom use
- Printable documents, including:
- Training outline
- Compliance Manual
- Completion Certificate & Wallet Cards / ID card
- Attendance Log / Sign-In Form
- Employee Quiz and Answer Key
- Kitchen, Restaurant & Food Service Supplemental Documents
After completing this course, workers should understand the fundamentals of food safety, personal hygiene, clean kitchen workspaces, and proper food handling techniques.
Who should take this course?
New food service employees and members of supervisory and management teams. This training can also be used as refresher course or to train the trainer.